Two Major Earthquakes
On April 25, 2015, Nepal was struck with a disastrous 7.8-magnitude earthquake. A second earthquake of 7.4-magnitude struck Nepal again on May 12, 2015.
The aftermath of these quakes and the hundreds of aftershocks that followed was inconceivable loss of lives and massive destruction of infrastructure and property across the country:
- 8100+ perished, 18,000+ injured and thousands more missing.
- Centuries-old world heritage sites leveled to the ground.
- Avalanches in the Mount Everest region claiming more lives.
- 2.8 million people displaced and 530,000 houses damaged or destroyed.
- 3.5 million people in need of food assistance.
- Total loss of 6 billion USD, equivalent to about 30% of Nepal's GDP.
As the tremors continue, survivors resort to sleeping in tents, cars, other makeshift shelters and open skies. In the months to come, there will also be immense need for healing and rebuilding efforts.
The Nepal Rising Campaign
Amid these challenges, hope lives in the resilience of the Nepali people to rise from the rubble, stronger and united to rebuild their nation together. Hope also lives in the warm affection of friends of Nepal around the world who are already coming together to support critical disaster relief and recovery efforts in Nepal.
The Nepal Rising Campaign is organized with the same philosophy to provide an integrated relief, rebuilding and resiliency effort in Nepal. We envision a resilient Nepal where citizens are empowered to embrace responsibility and come together to rise from the current adversity towards a thriving and sustainable future. The campaign’s mission is to organize a global collaborative campaign for relief, rebuilding, and resiliency in Nepal:
- Support district-based NGOs for immediate earthquake relief efforts.
- Collaborate with community-based and governmental efforts for community rebuilding.
- Nurture a global community of supporters for fostering resilient local communities.
How Can You Help?
- Donate to Nepal Rising via paypal. Become a sustaining donor by committing to monthly donation.
- Be a part of the city-based fundraising and community-building effort.
- Share knowledge, ideas and other resources that will strengthen this global campaign.
About the Nepal Rising Campaign
Nepal Rising is a global collaborative campaign organized for providing relief, rebuilding, and resilience efforts in Nepal in the aftermath of the devastating earthquakes. We seek to sustain the movement to empower Nepali communities to bounce back from this adversity much stronger and brighter. Through local and global partnerships, this campaign will provide a common platform to share ideas, raise funds, and coordinate volunteers towards a common purpose of building resilient communities in Nepal. We invite you to join us and be a part of this movement for relief, rebuilding, and resiliency. Let’s join hands to see Nepal rising, brighter and stronger!